The holiday season is right around the corner, and that means gifts and gatherings. Whether you are looking for a snackable dessert to bring to a party or a treat to package in a tin, our next “Cooking in the Cave” recipe has you covered.
In this episode, Mercer Dining Food Services Director Jarvis Napier and Executive Chef Jimmy Brown whip up a batch of delectable chocolate turtle bites.
These quick-and-easy treats are the perfect combination of sweet and salty. The biggest challenge will be giving them away instead of keeping them all for yourself. If you go the latter route, we get it.
Chocolate Turtle Bites
1 package (14 ounces) caramels
3 tablespoons water
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1 cup Rice Krispies
3 cups milk chocolate chips
1 1/2 teaspoons shortening
- Line two baking sheets with waxed paper, grease the paper and set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the caramels and water; cook and stir over low heat until smooth. Stir in pecans and cereal until coated.
- Drop by the teaspoonful onto prepared pans. Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until firm.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth.
- Dip candy into chocolate, coating all sides; allow excess to drip off. Place on prepared pans. Refrigerate until set. Store in an airtight container.